Upscaling fashion

Instead of working with new and shiny fabrics, Paulina Palian seeks out the old and the discarded  She has established herself as a nurturer and modeler of second hand clothes. During the Forest Hill Fashion Week she led a workshop were people could up-cycle their own unusable clothes. We spoke to them as they got heavy handed with some scissors and needle and thread….

The Future Fabrics Expo 2013 in Copenhagen

Future Fabrics Expo, one of the leading sustainable fabrics expos in Europe, is just about to start its third show as part of the new CIFF Future Fabrics Fair in Copenhagen this summer.  The exhibition will be showcasing a wide range of sustainable products made by over 50 designers coming from all corners of the world. Future…

Are workers valued in the fashion industry?

The death toll for the factory collapse in Bangladesh now stands at over 800. Over 3000 workers were in the building at the time it collapsed, churning out clothing for western high street brands including Primark and Mango. This tragedy has provided another reminder of the casualties of a fashion industry where production is outsourced to sourcing companies in…

Self-adjustable Spectacles nominated for Design Museum’s Award 2013

Joshua Silver, a physicist by background has applied his skills to solve a huge global problem.  He and his team at the Centre for Vision in the DevelopingWorld have designed low cost self-adjustable eye-glasses. The product is aimed at people who need to wear glasses, living in low-income countries where there are few eye specialists…

How important is eco-fashion to you?

The fashion world is becoming more and more conscious about the negative impacts it has on the environment. From toxic chemicals in synthetic materials to large amounts of water usage during the clothing production stages, the textile industry is slowly but surely starting to realise that changes need to be made. Even leading high-street fashion…

Sustainability should be the rule not the exception

Fashion is a large part about designers, and indeed this is how Charlotte Turner (left in the picture below) started her career. With an early passion for up-cycling materials and clothes – though she obviously didn’t realise that re-using old garments from her grandmother to make new things was just this – a degree from the London…

How our clothing consumption affects the environment

A person living in an average UK household spends about $ 1700 pounds a year on clothing. But we only hang on to about 21 per cent of the clothes we buy every year. The other 79 per cent is taking a different path. So what happens to the pieces that don’t make the cut? In…

Eco check: Which fabrics are the best for the Environment?

“I want to do my best to take care of the planet by designing with recycled and eco-friendly materials,“ Deborah Lindquist, an LA based eco-designer told the website ecobites recently. And Lindquist isn’t alone. With climate change being one of the big topics in recent years living more sustainable has become one two. A lot…

H&M goes green and “Conscious” amid criticism

The multinational high street brand H&M has attempted to show that fast fashion giants can be sustainable too with their latest campaign “Conscious Exclusive”. The goal is to make more sustainable fashion choices available, affordable and attractive to as many people as possible. Their new action plan to be more eco conscious, includes recycling 95%…

The shoe that can power a mobile phone

The inventor, Trevor Baylis is probably best known for his invention of the Wind Up Radio, but it is his invention of the electric shoe that brings the thinkgreenfashion team to his home and workshop. The Electric Shoe An early prototype of the shoe is lying amongst all his many other inventions in an ordered…

Pop-up shops give an outlet to young designers

London is a shopper’s paradise, offering something for every taste and age group. However, with increasing rents, rates and general costs, as well as the economic recession it means that thousand of shops have closed across the city in the past few years. But now a solution has literally popped-up: shops that open for a…

UK Fashion House seeks to alleviate poverty

It was Oliver Wayman’s mother who first discovered the crochet technique that creates the chain mail effect, which explains how these classic bags can be made from recycled ring pulls. The technique originated in Brazil and these bags are one of the core products of the Bottletop Fashion Company, a fashion house with a difference….